The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting. This was held downstairs at the RAOB as the upstairs had been double-booked.
1. Apologies: Gary Buckingham, Christine Guiver, Andrew Bibbings, Alan Smith
2. Minutes of the previous meeting were approved, having been read by all previously.
3. Matters arising from the minutes:
- Chest freezers on DR site – not removed yet.
- Rubbish from 21DR has been removed.
- Chemicals from 10 DR have not been removed – sec to chase ex plotholder again.
- None other that request to be added to the waiting list
5. Chairman’s Report:
- I am very sorry to report that we lost one of our own. Gus Luscombe (Oakleigh) sadly died suddenly from complications at Exeter Hospital on 23 April. He was a reliable team player and carried out many duties for the Society, including cleaning the toilet each Monday, strimming vacant plots and he would help any member if they needed help. I know several members will be attending the funeral, which will be held on 11 May at 11.15am at Torquay Crematorium. The family has requested that there be family flowers only and donations can be made to the Air Ambulance. The committee have agreed that we will make a donation on behalf of the Society. We discussed whether it would be a nice idea to have a trophy in his name for the ‘best kept plot’. Gus’s widow will be approached about this before any action is taken.
- I received a call from a lady who would like a plot at Lower Penns. She had tried to apply via the website without success. Please can we see if there is a problem with the site?
- We had a complaint from a householder about a bonfire at Oakleigh about 2 weeks ago. There was a mix up with the plot number and a warning was sent to the wrong person. Sec has apologised to the plotholder. Would plotholders please realise that wind direction is the most important factor – Oakleigh needs wind to be in an easterly direction and Derrell Road, westerly. This way, the smoke has time to disperse before reaching the nearby houses. If smoke from a bonfire, immediately on lighting it, looks like it will go towards the houses, PUT IT OUT.
- The rubbish has now been removed from DR site and Oakleigh will shortly follow. Date to be arranged.
6. Vice Chairman’s Report:
- Not present – no report
7. Treasurer’s Report:
- Monies in bank:
- Current: £383.72
- Deposit: £4,271.68
- Rents received: £3,516
- Paid out this month:
- Alan Smith cash – toilet rolls £4.00
- I Williams (man/van) 100282 £225.00
- PSB Sales (netting) 100283 £21.60
- Chairman (sawdust & fuel) 100284 £11.19
- B&Q (DR Paint) 100285 £39.00
- The Society now has a quantity of green fine mesh netting for sale at 50p per metre x 2m width. Please see Alan (Oakleigh) or Chairman or site rep or email sec.
- Several plotholders across the sites have yet to pay for their plots – if subs are not paid by 10 May at the latest (40 days after they become due) leases will be terminated! Sec will be chasing for payment this week.
- 1 – given up
- 10 – chase re chemicals on site
- 11a – can be re-let
- 3c – (no work done – letter sent re: intentions – sec reported plotholder is going to build raised beds.) This is not in accordance with the tenancy agreement and we must see cultivation. There are plenty of people on the waiting list who would like a plot to cultivate. Progress to be monitored.
- 4 – ready to let
10. Date of next committee meeting:
- To be held on Monday 5 June 2017 at 7.30pm at the RAOB Club. (All welcome)
Meeting closed at 8pm.