The Vice-Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.
1. Apologies: Tracey Clarke, Jackie Green, Pat Messenger
2. Minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved
3. Matters arising from the minutes:
- Rat infestation on plot at Derrell Road – we had no further information on this and chairman confirmed it was not clear as to the reason for the infestation.
- Applications to join the waiting list.
- Sec has been in touch with the Council about potential dangerous trees on DR site – waiting to hear.
- Request from 10b DR to put a shed at the bottom of the plot. Sec has referred them to the Chairman on the same site. Also, the plotholder has seen young lads on the site asking for the code for the toilets. Plotholder escorted them off the site, but it was clear that they knew the gate code in any event.
- Sec has received a request from Paignton Photo Club to record what happens on the edges of Paignton by way of photographing the allotments (including people working) in week commencing 20 July. Sec replied on 3.8.15 as only just seen message due to holiday. Sec waiting to hear.
- 19b LP emailed to confirm they were giving up the plot, so this could be relet. RW asked if 19a could take it over, but we discussed that we had to adhere strictly to the waiting list.
- Request from Torbay Community Development Trust – TCDT - (support for voluntary organisations and social enterprises within Torbay) for up to date contact details of the Society – Sec has replied.
- First aiders – A volunteer for the DR and LP sites had come forward.
- DR: A Brobyn (4) and LP: S Philpott (8b). Gratefully accepted – we would have to find someone for Oakleigh site. VC said he would investigate.
5. Chairman’s Report:
- The South West Water contract to read the meter at LP on a monthly basis has expired and they have sent new terms. These were discussed and the Chairman has agreed to renew the contract as there has been a significant saving to the Society since the meter was being read.
- The Health and Safety requirements are not quite as onerous as first thought (see last month). The Society would however still be required to keep machinery inspection records and safety equipment for use when tenants borrow the equipment.
6. Vice Chairman’s Report:
- The toilet on Oakleigh is now finished and the second shed from a vacant plot is soon to be moved.
- Reported that a plotholder may be sleeping on one of the sites. This was not applied under any circumstances.
7. Treasurer’s Report: (no figures received from Treasurer)
- Current account: £109.04
- Deposit account: £3,039.20
- Water, Lower Penns - £101.88,
- First aid kits, accident books, padlocks - £104.69
- Parts for Oakleigh toilet - £7.00
- 6a Letter 1
- 10b Plotholder has confirmed that he is using the greenhouse and part of the plot. He will be using it all next season.
- Carpet is being used as a covering on plots and this was discussed. It is not really suitable as there may be chemicals/dyes/foam present, which is harmful to the soil. Please could plotholders try and use other means of covering to keep the weeds down if the plot is not going to be cultivated immediately.
- 19b Giving up
- 20b Nothing heard from plotholder – vacant?
- Sec to let both plots
- 3a plotholder advised that due to illness in the family, he will have to give up this plot as it is too much work.
- 7a letter 1
- 11 plotholder has now cleared shed and when this has been moved, sec can relet the plot.
- 13 no work done – letter 1
- 15b has not been cultivated and has not paid. Tenancy has therefore been terminated and plot can be relet.
- 35b letter 1 as no cultivation
- 41/42 letter as no work had been done since the agreement
- The FUN VEG SHOW was discussed. The date of this in last month’s minutes was incorrect and it will be held on SATURDAY 15th AUGUST on the Oakleigh site
- Chairman has asked that we put the emphasis on FUN so that people are not put off.
- There will be no need to enter formally beforehand – please could plotholders just bring along any produce that they would like to display.
- A barbecue will be provided, please could plotholders bring their own food and drink.
- The hon. vice president had completed his tour of the sites over the past few weeks, when he was judging the condition of individual plots. His result will be posted on a separate sheet by him and the site reps will contact the winners to ask if they can attend the show on 15th August.
- Winners will be presented with a cup on the day.
- The Hon VP noted that a number of plots across all the sites were not being tended and he expressed his disappointment at this.
10. Date of next meeting:
- To be held on Monday 7 September 2015 @ 7.30pm at the RAOB Club.
Meeting closed at 8.35pm.