The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.
1. Apologies: C Guiver, K Mason, J Green, T Clarke, L Burns (by email).
2. Minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved.
3. Matters arising from the minutes:
- 41/42 Oakleigh – Plotholder has met with the chairman and vice-chairman who have walked the plots. It was agreed that the plotholder will pay for both plots this year and then move the fruit trees at the end of the season, with a view to retaining only one plot (nearest the gate) next season. Sec agreed to write to plotholder to confirm what had been agreed.
- None – other than applications to join the waiting list.
5. Chairman’s Report:
- We discussed that if any plots remained unpaid after 11 May (40 days after they became due) , a lease could be terminated. Chairman agreed to allow a further 7 days grace and Sec is to look at agreements returned to see who has not yet paid (not until after 12/5 though due to other commitments).
- The DR noticeboard is nearly finished and will hopefully be ready by the end of this week (10/5/15).
- The Society has not been successful with the application for the Lottery Grant as it was felt that the grant would not benefit enough people (only the plotholder).
- Chairman reported that he did not anticipate any big expenditure in the forthcoming year as the Oakleigh toilet was nearly finished. We discussed the maintenance of Society equipment and the Chairman felt it would be a good idea to have the strimmer etc. serviced, at least every 2 years if possible.
- The committee thought it would be a good idea to draw up an inventory of Society equipment, amongst other things so we could keep a record of which machinery had been serviced and when. Chairman agreed to arrange costings from Devon Garden Machinery for the servicing.
- Chairman mentioned that he was a little concerned at plotholders using society equipment without training and if an injury followed, who would be liable? It was generally felt that everyone used the equipment at their own risk, but we were not sure of the legal position. Chairman agreed to check with the insurers as to the extent of the insurance cover and what other societies do about lending out equipment.
- G Buckingham said that equipment should be kept locked away and only let out with the knowledge of a committee member, rather than an individual plotholder helping himself. This was agreed as the Oakleigh strimmer had recently been returned filled with engine oil, although we had no idea of the type of oil to use and no idea who had used it or filled it.
- Chairman confirmed that there had been a major saving on water at LP since the site had moved to a water meter.
6. Vice Chairman’s Report:
- A Smith reported that he had been working on his plot recently and had not had much time to finish the toilet. He was hoping to get back to it soon.
7. Treasurer’s Report:
- Current account: £102.20
- Deposit account: £2,968.69
- Allotment rents received to date: £3,246.00
- Cheques this month:
- 100201 £9.80 K Parker - mower fuel
- 100202 £460.80 Groworganic pellets
- 100203 £26.00 A Burgess – parts for noticeboard
- 100204 £47.76 K Parker – parts for noticeboard
- Treasurer reported that there was possibly another £300 to come in rents as yet unpaid.
- All plots now let.
- 4 Has started work, but not yet paid.
- 10b Has done a little work.
- 14a Letter 1.
- 15 Not yet paid and plotholder has not been seen for a while as we think he has been unwell. Terminate if not paid in the 40 days allowed.
- One plot remaining, secretary working through the waiting list – I have had several offers from existing tenants to take it over!
- Nothing to report.
- 11 A Smith will try and contact plotholder again as he thinks she wants to keep the plot. May suggest reducing to ½ plot if she now has other commitments.
- 15b Not yet paid – plotholder not seen for some time. Terminate if not paid.
- 37a Can now be let as we were unsuccessful with lottery grant (see Chairman's report)
- 41/42 See matters arising from previous minutes
- Chicken pellets have now been delivered and distributed to all sites. Please could plotholders speak to a committee member if they would like some as there appears to be plenty of spare bags. Price is £7.85 – the same as last year.
- J Wallis provided information of what would be required to show fruit/veg. He agreed to confirm his dates of availability to judge a show in August sometime. He has a cup that could be presented to the ‘best allotment’.
- It was discussed that maybe the Society should buy some compost for everyone to use. It was agreed that compost is generally so cheap to buy at places like B&G/Trago, that it may not be worth the trouble. Chairman agreed to look at costings.
10. Date of next meeting:
- To be held on Monday 1 June 2015 @ 7.30pm at the RAOB Club.
Meeting closed at 8:25 pm.